View Single Post
      11-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
evilrho
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

Thanks to American Phaser for this writeup! I'm really happy I was able to lower those things. I just bought a 2013 135i convertible, and the first thing that bugged me was not being able to properly lower them out of view.

For those who are worried about safety, once you see the flimsy metal bracket that prevents them from lowering, it's clear it would provide absolutely no additional protection. Besides, that's what the automatic popup roll bars are for. I'd say lowering them actually increases safety by providing a better rear view. Think about it... how could a soft headrest being 1 inch higher do anything to save your neck in a rollover? If you're actually sitting in the rear seat, you still have the option of raising them to match your height just like in every other car. Also, when you realize this is only a US "feature", it's clear this is the result of American tort lawyers - not an increase in safety.

Anyway, I notice the pictures are missing. I didn't have my phone with me when I did the job so I have no pics either, but maybe I can provide some more clarity if anyone is interested...

I didn't know what he meant by a slotted screwdriver. I just used a small but long flathead screwdriver. As he says, there's two tabs in each hole. They provide friction to the posts, but they also keep the plastic hole liners and plate assembly in place. You have to pry the tabs inward (toward the inside of each hole) as you lift on the plate. Working in one hole, pry one, then the other as you're lifting on that side of the plate. Once it releases, go to the other hole and do the same. Then the whole plate will pop right out. It sounds more difficult than it actually is.

I used a sturdy set of wire cutters to remove the bracket that prevents full lowering. The whole process (once I figured it out) only took about 20 minutes and was well worth the time.

Last edited by evilrho; 11-01-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0