08-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
As a rule of thumb, no air intake can give that much improvement if any. There is nothing wrong with the OEM intake. I wouldn't even change the oem filter. Credible studies have shown that most aftermarket filters don't filter particles as well as oem filters, which is not to say aftermarket filters are inferior in quality, but rather it's part of their design to have less filtration for increased air flow. High flow air filters are fine for racing applications, given that they are being run on a relatively clean environment of a race track and that the engine is either rebuilt or only meant to last for a few races. I honestly see no benefit in fitting aftermarket filters unless you are after aural aesthetics only. In fact, it would be more beneficial to change your oem air filter at half the normal BMW interval, compared to someone having an after market filter which they eventually neglect to clean on a regular basis.

Also, a lot of aftermarket intakes leave their filtration element exposed in the engine bay, which will cause the engine to suffer from heat soak if you are not travelling fast enough to supply sufficient cool air. I say, get your car first, get used to it, spend your money on improving your driving ability, only then decide on increasing the performance of your car.
Very well said! You need to learn the car first, strengths and weaknesses before starting to "upgrade" it. I myself said before in another thread that the best money I could spend on the 1M for the moment is probably taking advanced driving courses

If you really want to change some bits from the start, think about a good exhaust, stickier tires, track wheels if you plan to track it or keep yourself playing with certain exterior and interior mods, since there is a lot of space for improvement and personalization in those areas. You don't need to mod every technical aspect of 1M, it comes pretty good out of the box like any M car.
Appreciate 0