View Single Post
      03-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

^^^
True enough, inevitably most cars get bigger as they evolve. As the car's market ages, for the most part so do the points of the car's appeal. Certainly the reviews would be less than stellar if the 3er's interior room somehow got smaller (I know thats a bit of an extreme).

I think the best example of that is Saturn, when they first came out they were these really affordable, plastic cars. They've certainly departed from that now though because those 20-somethings who first bought those cars are now 30 or 40 and are looking for something more grown up (be it a family sedan or a little roadster). So the manufacturer always has to ask whether they want to do the easy thing and grow the car to reflect your customer's changing tastes (even if it means a departure from the original roots of the car or product), or do the hard thing and make sure your car maintains its a appeal to that younger audience so your product has staying power with that fixed demographic. Most manufacturer's opt to simply grow the car and slot something in for the younger audience later (ie; BMW).

I think the Mazda Miata is probably the one of the only cars thats grown only marginally with age.