View Single Post
      10-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #106
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
Let me define two terms as I use them. Everyone may not agree, but at least you'll know what I'm trying to fix.

Exhaust resonation is when the frequencies the exhaust system creates causes other parts of the care to vibrate. This is what I'm working on. Adding small amounts of a "mass loader" in the right spots will cure this. In the 1M the resonation comes and goes between 2000 and 2500 RPM.

Drone is the eritating tone an exhaust system creates in specific RPM or load range. there isn't much you can do to fix it but change the exhaust.

What I've done so far seems to have made the resonation better. It seams to be mostly in the 2100 - 2350 RPM (65 - 70 MPH) range which I don't use much. I'm going to add another 1 - 1.5 sq/ft in a few places tonight and see what happens.

As mass loaders go, the Second Skin products are very good. A thin piece of material will do a lot to control sheet metal vibration.
Something else you can try if the drone really bothers you is to clamp weight at various sections of the exhaust until the drone is gone. It's an old trick to reduce exhaust resonance.
Appreciate 0