View Single Post
      01-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #180
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I do all my own maintenance on all my other cars and hate having to deal with dealerships to do things I can easily and actually prefer to do on my own. I even do my own diagnostic work before taking the car in for a particular problem.

However, there are 2 potential issues with the idea of skipping the free maintenance:

1. Obviously if you want a part/service to be free (covered under warranty), the dealer has to be the one changing the part or doing the service. Usually not a big deal on oil changes and the like, but it is on big $ items like brakes and other expensive components.

2. BMW can potentially deny warranty work because you decided to opt out of the free services they were providing. However, hopefully, keeping a record of purchasing BMW oil/filters/etc. is sufficient to prove that you kept up with the maintenance despite not taking the car in.
I agree with item #1- but the "typical" things changed during the "free maintenance" period aren't very costly (oil filter + 7 qts. of oil is about $65 bucks).

When you look at what maintenance is typically done during the first 50K miles, its usually 3-4 oil changes/brake fluid change/spark plug change- not sure why doing this work myself would void my warranty.
2015 Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0