02-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptix View Post
1) N54 or N55? (My sister has an n54 335 that hasn't really had any issues other than the HPFP 5 minutes after she drove off the lot LOL).
2) How do you guys like your 1? Stock vs tuned(inevitable)?
3) Any warnings to BMW and 1 rookies?
1) Depends what you want to do. N54 responds better to modifications. N55 is newer.
2) I like it. Stock it was still a fast little car, and tuned it's even faster. Have yet to dyno it though and take it to the track when tuned.
3) Know about maintenance. When something happens it usually costs more than it would a Honda/Acura or something along those lines. I had a misfire on cylinder 6 recently so I changed out the spark plugs. Still misfire. Ended up being the injector. Cost me about $600 for the first shop to diagnose the car (including oil change, labor, parts). The mechanic has never changed injectors out of this motor before so I towed it to a performance shop ($280). After the performance shop diagnosed the car, labor, injector (injector itself was $295); it cost me $970 at the performance shop. Granted I learned my lesson to not go to the first place again because they are a little bit of a rip off, and decide to go to my family mechanic from now on if I come across a similar issue again. But just know that OEM parts for this car are not really cheap (best I have heard was $1000 for new 6 injectors), and if you are mechanically inclined and know about BMW motors, that's a plus. Also is harder to find a reputable shop that knows about this motor and has worked on it before, so take that into consideration as well.
Appreciate 0