09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #63
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Agreed. Plus almost all other reviews have said the Cayman R is the better/more special car to have.

I think the Cayman R is certainly the better car. Much faster on the track, easier to push harder, and in a straight it's faster as well especially at higher speeds. Not to mention a better 6mt, better steering and brakes and throttle response is on a different level.
The 1M is very much like the M3...its not going to win when it comes to any area of performance but is good all around and offers practicality and space the Cayman R doesnt.
That said, from my experience the cayman R just brings a bit more to the table when it comes to being a scalpel like tool that connects with the driver and cannot be matched for anywhere near the same price.
Generally correct but; first, Cayman R is not faster than a 1M on a straight till minimum 220-230 km/h, especially so if it is a manual gear box like 1M; and it falls definitely way behind in in-gear acceleration which is maybe even more important on the road. I also have to add that a base Cayman R does not have better brakes at all. Like Farah says repeatedly in the video, you need the bigger carbon-ceramic brakes option for that, base Cayman R brakes are the same brakes of Cayman S, and smaller in dimension and are not among the strong points of that car (the option will cost you 8000 Euro in Europe and 8000 USD in US). I agree with the rest of your post but the areas that R is better than the 1M, they are nowhere 30,000 USD worth better, we are talking about relativity at a niche here.

A car is a package not a one-dimensional object (at least not for me) so I do not see the Cayman R making sense against a 1M, even if it would be priced equally, this is unless you have a garage full of different cars and you need to have the Cayman R too for whatever it is doing at best: a mid engined, low, light and super balanced sports car for track fun.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0