View Single Post
      09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #64
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
If his review was based strictly on track use the sure the CR may be the better choice but for overall street and track performance, comfort, amenities, price, etc the 1M is a clear winner. This has been proven countless times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
This.

Also, I wouldn't sell the 1M or the M3 short when up against the CR. The BMWs have posted better times on certain tracks.

Also, the Cayman R maybe more 'special' than the M3 which is quite ubiquitous, but the 1M is rarer and a better overall package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Generally correct but; first, Cayman R is not faster than a 1M on a straight till minimum 220-230 km/h, especially so if it is a manual gear box like 1M; and it falls definitely way behind in in-gear acceleration which is maybe even more important on the road. I also have to add that a base Cayman R does not have better brakes at all. Like Farah says repeatedly in the video, you need the bigger carbon-ceramic brakes option for that, base Cayman R brakes are the same brakes of Cayman S, and smaller in dimension and are not among the strong points of that car (the option will cost you 8000 Euro in Europe and 8000 USD in US). I agree with the rest of your post but the areas that R is better than the 1M, they are nowhere 30,000 USD worth better, we are talking about relativity at a niche here.

A car is a package not a one-dimensional object (at least not for me) so I do not see the Cayman R making sense against a 1M, even if it would be priced equally, this is unless you have a garage full of different cars and you need to have the Cayman R too for whatever it is doing at best: a mid engined, low, light and super balanced sports car for track fun.
All of you have valid points, however, having had the chance to drive them back to back on a few different occasions I do not agree with some of what you are saying.
Most reviews have picked the Cayman R saying its just that good...my impressions were in line with those.
Yes straight line is close if youre talking 6mt vs 6mt with the top end going to the R. Cayman R with PDK is def faster.
As for track times, that is no contest as the Cayman R dominates on all according to fastest laps.
As for brakes, the Cayman R's brakes are better and will last longer on the track and in hard driving. Funny thing is, if you read the EVO review, they has the biggest gripe on the 1M being the brakes where the Cayman R was unflappable and unfazed no matter what.
I also believe the better overall package is the Cayman R IF you do not need the extra seats. I found it to be much more pure and organic in every aspect over the 1M which seems to be a common theme. Things like the natural balance of the R and the instant throttle response and best gearbox ever put in a street car are things the 1M just cant touch not to mention the pull all the way to redline. I also liked the ride better in the Cayman R as it was better on the rough patches and it felt FAR more planted at speed.

Here is actually an interesting article on the Cayman R, M3 and 1M.

"It’s impossible to deny the feeling the Cayman R provides. After first stepping out of the car I was on a real high. It was akin to Richard Hammond’s “I am a driving god” moment. Nothing the brilliant 1M could offer matched that feeling. I can only imagine how much fun the Cayman R would be on a track. You just know it would take whatever punishment you could throw at it. Only to beg you to come back for more. However, not every day takes you on a B-road blast or to the safe confines of a billiard-table smooth circuit.

The 1M, of course, is no slouch. It is building a deserved reputation as a modern-day icon. It will carry that burden with some ease, too. At the limit the 1M is very, very good, but it cannot match the Cayman R. Yet, its four seats, more comfortable ride and more versatile engine give the 1M a much broader range.

When considering a number of scenarios, these two cars are almost impossible to split. BMW claimed the 1M would give us goose pimples. To be fair, it probably has. But there was only one car that made us feel immortal.

The Cayman R."

http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/07/31/....html#comments

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 09-26-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0