09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #65
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
All of you have valid points, however, having had the chance to drive them back to back on a few different occasions I do not agree with some of what you are saying.
Most reviews have picked the Cayman R saying its just that good...my impressions were in line with those.
Yes straight line is close if youre talking 6mt vs 6mt with the top end going to the R. Cayman R with PDK is def faster.
As for track times, that is no contest as the Cayman R dominates on all according to fastest laps.
As for brakes, the Cayman R's brakes are better and will last longer on the track and in hard driving. Funny thing is, if you read the EVO review, they has the biggest gripe on the 1M being the brakes where the Cayman R was unflappable and unfazed no matter what.
I also believe the better overall package is the Cayman R IF you do not need the extra seats. I found it to be much more pure and organic in every aspect over the 1M which seems to be a common theme. Things like the natural balance of the R and the instant throttle response and best gearbox ever put in a street car are things the 1M just cant touch not to mention the pull all the way to redline. I also liked the ride better in the Cayman R as it was better on the rough patches and it felt FAR more planted at speed.

Here is actually an interesting article on the Cayman R, M3 and 1M.

"It’s impossible to deny the feeling the Cayman R provides. After first stepping out of the car I was on a real high. It was akin to Richard Hammond’s “I am a driving god” moment. Nothing the brilliant 1M could offer matched that feeling. I can only imagine how much fun the Cayman R would be on a track. You just know it would take whatever punishment you could throw at it. Only to beg you to come back for more. However, not every day takes you on a B-road blast or to the safe confines of a billiard-table smooth circuit.

The 1M, of course, is no slouch. It is building a deserved reputation as a modern-day icon. It will carry that burden with some ease, too. At the limit the 1M is very, very good, but it cannot match the Cayman R. Yet, its four seats, more comfortable ride and more versatile engine give the 1M a much broader range.

When considering a number of scenarios, these two cars are almost impossible to split. BMW claimed the 1M would give us goose pimples. To be fair, it probably has. But there was only one car that made us feel immortal.

The Cayman R."

http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/07/31/....html#comments
No one denies the natural and direct feeling that Cayman R provides par excellence. But a Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora also provide that if not even better. Would we really compare them with the versatility of 1M? And why you even quote EVO since they chose the 1M as the overall winner in their comparison test against the Cayman R, TT RS and 370Z? My e-copy is on my desktop like all other recent EVO issues. The same issue they make another comparison where they choose the 1M over its bigger brother E92 M3, a less quoted part of that same issue! They say that they still love the M3 and it is just great but 1M is just better...these EVO people,they always play with fire. Sometime after that comparison test they also placed the 1M over the Cayman R and many other great cars at the third place in their ECOTY, just behind a 911 GT3 RS 4.0 and McLaren MP4 12C. So, my friendly advice at least stop quoting EVO as your witness at this particular arguement And when did fastest lap site become a reliable source of information, everything and anything about that site is questionable at its best. Plus, another slight correction; I remember that the Cyman R from EVO review had the carbon-ceramic option.

Cayman R (I would personally choose Boxster Spyder by the way, has much more character in its design and goes equally good if not better-it has much better lap time than the Cayman R in EVO test-) has undeniable and class leading qualities and it is absolutely normal that your personal choice is the Porsche not the 1M. However, the arguements you provide just do not change the very fact that it has a much narrower use and a hard to justify price tag. And that was the real point of this last video review after all. You should just say that you liked the feel of Cayman over 1M, which is totally fine.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 09-26-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0