09-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #66
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
All of you have valid points, however, having had the chance to drive them back to back on a few different occasions I do not agree with some of what you are saying.
Most reviews have picked the Cayman R saying its just that good...my impressions were in line with those.
Yes straight line is close if youre talking 6mt vs 6mt with the top end going to the R. Cayman R with PDK is def faster.
As for track times, that is no contest as the Cayman R dominates on all according to fastest laps.
As for brakes, the Cayman R's brakes are better and will last longer on the track and in hard driving. Funny thing is, if you read the EVO review, they has the biggest gripe on the 1M being the brakes where the Cayman R was unflappable and unfazed no matter what.
I also believe the better overall package is the Cayman R IF you do not need the extra seats. I found it to be much more pure and organic in every aspect over the 1M which seems to be a common theme. Things like the natural balance of the R and the instant throttle response and best gearbox ever put in a street car are things the 1M just cant touch not to mention the pull all the way to redline. I also liked the ride better in the Cayman R as it was better on the rough patches and it felt FAR more planted at speed.

Here is actually an interesting article on the Cayman R, M3 and 1M.

"It’s impossible to deny the feeling the Cayman R provides. After first stepping out of the car I was on a real high. It was akin to Richard Hammond’s “I am a driving god” moment. Nothing the brilliant 1M could offer matched that feeling. I can only imagine how much fun the Cayman R would be on a track. You just know it would take whatever punishment you could throw at it. Only to beg you to come back for more. However, not every day takes you on a B-road blast or to the safe confines of a billiard-table smooth circuit.

The 1M, of course, is no slouch. It is building a deserved reputation as a modern-day icon. It will carry that burden with some ease, too. At the limit the 1M is very, very good, but it cannot match the Cayman R. Yet, its four seats, more comfortable ride and more versatile engine give the 1M a much broader range.

When considering a number of scenarios, these two cars are almost impossible to split. BMW claimed the 1M would give us goose pimples. To be fair, it probably has. But there was only one car that made us feel immortal.

The Cayman R."

http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/07/31/....html#comments
Do you mean this Evo article where they picked the 1M over the Cayman R?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628462

"High-speed corners reveal understeer, but you can play with the weight transfer on turn- in with a slight lift of the throttle to get things neutralised. Thanks to the R’s weight savings, none of these handling traits is too snappy, and it’s certainly effective – posting a 1.25.5 lap time – but consistently working at the limit of the tyres’ grip does reveal a more expressive side to the Cayman R.

The 1M is a big surprise for different reasons. It generates tremendous grip and traction, putting all its prodigious, overboost-fattened torque into the tarmac with little complaint. Where the M diff could at times feel abrupt on the road, it works brilliantly on the track, giving the car a beautifully neutral balance, with the ability to be steered precisely on the throttle. Crucially, it still generates plenty of forward momentum, so you can let the 1M slide without it degenerating into a pointless drift challenge. The brakes – so often a cause for complaint on M-cars – have power and stamina too, making this an accomplished and entertaining trackday machine. It manages a best lap just 0.4sec shy of the Cayman and, ironically, identical to the E92 M3, albeit on a different day with a different driver."

The BMW and Porsche were always going to be the stars of the test, but it would have taken a braver man than I to predict a winner before we began. The Cayman R has been widely – and rightly – praised for its commitment to mass reduction and subsequently brilliant handling. Truth be told we were all under its spell for the first day of the test, dazzled by its brilliance and mesmerised by its purity and fitness for purpose. As photographer Jamie Lipman said while shooting details: ‘They can even paint it a hideous green and stick a stupid spoiler on the back and I still want one!’

However, the longer we spent with it and the more times we swapped to and from the 1M, the greater the admiration and affection we felt for the BMW. It’s not that we fell out of love with the Cayman, far from it in fact. Indeed, our guest tester, sports car racer Andy Wallace, almost had a tear in his eye when he proclaimed it ‘the best-handling road car I think I’ve ever driven’. Both Catchpole and I were with him on that, yet the charms of the 1M were proving impossible to resist.

No, it doesn’t have the immaculate polish and homogenous tactility of the Porsche – the brakes are over-assisted at road speeds and it lacks the remarkable pliancy and supple body control of the Cayman – but it counters with scintillating overtaking ability, greater levels of mechanical grip and a handling balance that’s almost as sweet. Emotionally the clincher is its unique character and thoroughly up-for-it attitude. Factor-in its four useable seats, on-track ability and a £16K price advantage in as-tested spec and it’s clear the 1M sets a new benchmark for only-car, multi-purpose, real-life ability and desirability. It’s been a long time coming, but we’re delighted to say M’s new baby is more than worth the wait.

Topgear also picked the 1M over the Cayman R (track + road performance)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=520636&page=5
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0