Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Unhappy Bye bye turbo @ 33K

Faulty turbo thread

So the past 2 months I have been having some issues with my turbo. It all started with that god awful "siren" sound while in 1-2 gear below 2.5K RPM. Lots of post about this noise which eventually turns into a turbo whistle. Lots of folks say its normal but it definitely is NOT. (assuming your car has NEVER done this). I started then to notice carbon soot in my garage from start up and more than normal oil consumption. Car was brought to the dealer and of course they told me it was normal and I was being too sensitive. About 3 weeks later it just kept getting worse...so what do i decided to do..test it with some very spirited driving.

I got away with a few days of driving hard and running boost up. my blow off valve was spitting more and more oil and the noise of the turbo was loud and sounding horrible. Then all the sudden at boost and doing hard acceleration in 4th gear - boom!!! Power dropped immediately, max boost was cut in half and when I pulled in to inspect it sounded like I had a BB stuck in my downpipe followed by white / blue smoke out of my tail pipe. Car was towed to the dealer and I am awaiting the news.

Just a warning for all those that are getting that "siren, whine" all of the sudden. This seems to be more and more common on threads for cars at 30-40K miles. I will keep this post updated.
Attached Images