Adam@Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Blue BMW M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick51586 View Post
The reason they route it back into your intake is because the positive air pressure that brings oil with it has already been metered by your ecu. Venting to atmosphere or even seperating it with a catch can means that the ecu dosen't have the exact amount of metered air at any given time (pressure drop from catch can)... There are plently of people that don't change their oil on a regular basis, but think about a catch can. A catch can fills at varying rates depending on your driving/engine/etc, im sure plenty of average drivers would forget to empty it leading to plenty of oil all over peoples engines.
Welcome to the forums! But I wanted to help answer these questions people had as well. You say the ECU meters exactly how much oil has been routed into your intake? Not sure I'm understanding this correctly. The purpose of the oil catch can is to take away the excess oil residue/dirt/debris from your charge pipes/intercooler pipes/TURBO. The idea is to keep the oil out of the intake, which helps keep the intercooler running at maximum efficiency. Also, you make a good point with your last sentence. Imagine if you don't have a catch can and don't know when it would be full. That means you have an entire catch can amount of oil/debris/blow by running through your pipes and have no idea about it. Thats when performance gets hindered. Smoke comes out of the exhaust. Car runs dirty. If the biggest problem of an oil catch can is to drain it because it might overflow, I think the benefits outweight the negatives, don't you think?

Also, there is a site tube on the side of our Riss Racing Oil Catch Can to show you exactly how much oil is being caught. Whenever you pop the hood, just take a look. If you need to empty it, take off the 2 bolts on the bracket and take off the drain plug at the bottom. Its almost too easy to have your car running more efficient!
Appreciate 0