View Single Post
      08-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #84
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtuffy View Post
I recently took a 135i DCT for a test drive and was already scratching my head at some of the shifts it did. Honestly, it's probably doing it to either be more efficient or placing the revs into a beefier part of the power band than I do myself when driving stick. So really it's just pointing out all my flaws as a manual driver and I hate it for that.

Seriously though, I'm very picky about when i shift, I love blipping the throttle, and if I have to pay more to always drive around with flappy paddles why not just get the free stick and pedal instead? Also, I'd miss scoffing at and looking down upon automatic drivers.
Remember the DCT "adapts" to the driver when it's in auto mode.
So, it'll use it's preset algorithms and adjust according to how the driver drives as best as it can.

In the analog world, manual drivers do that as well. I don't shift at exactly the same rpm in each gear either. Some days I'm more aggressive with throttle and shifts, some days I want a softer slower approach.
So, the driver adapts his shift style as well, except the driver can adapt quicker to his mood.

That doesn't make one type of tranny better than the other in a usable sense. Again, the manual is a different, albeit, the older approach to driving enjoyment.
It's too bad that people get so offensive about their transmission choice.
It's a CHOICE, and we're lucky to have it.
Some respect for people's choices would be very welcome here.
I don't see anyone bashing the DCT's performance abilities. But I read a few comments where DCT drivers themselves attribute negative comments to manual drivers, that the MT drivers never made in the first place. Just because some MT drivers would never get a DCT doesn't mean they are bashing it or making fun of it. It's just not for them.
Just like the MT may not be for others.
It's really that simple.
Appreciate 0