View Single Post
      12-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
Using that site I still don't see a huge savings. Still about $3k assuming I could get $500 over invoice domestic or ED. I would still probably do ED just for the vacation.

Also its interesting that the config site (as well as Edmunds, KBB, etc) shows Premium Package 1 and Premium Package 2 but the BMWUSA site only lists one package.
Yeah, it probably depends a lot on how you option it up too

Honestly, if you're doing ED for the savings then you're really in for a pretty nasty shock. You can probably get a better price by getting it in the USA and negotiating up from US Invoice price instead. Hell, do a PCD and really enjoy it. Yes, if you're buying an M3, a 6 or a 7 or something you can probably save enough to make the trip worthwhile AND get the savings, but in a 1'er there's just not enough room to cover the cost of anything but a REALLY short trip for one.

I have heard of people who've flown to Munich, picked the car up, driven it to the airport, dropped it off and flown home. Dunno how much fun that would be though, and that would only be worthwhile if you had a car in which you had SIGNIFICANT savings in my opinion.

When I did my ED I had the experience of a lifetime. Of course, in my case I had a trip to Bavaria already planned, was already flying into Munich... the ED was actually an afterthought when I started thinking about both a rental car and the fact that my old car was getting a bit past its prime. It meant that I was on a schedule and couldn't do a lot of things I wanted to do on an ED (never got to do the Stelvio Pass for example), but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

So no... don't do it for the savings; do it for the experience. Trust me, it's worth it; you get to visit The Welt and the factory... and you'll get treated like royalty the whole time. Then you get to take your car on some of the best roads I have ever driven on (along the base of the Alps), visit historical areas, see some wonderful European cities... and do it all in your own new car.

As a driver though, if you want the ultimate experience you HAVE to do a PCD. Seriously, as a vacation the ED was awesome... but the PCD was heaven for the driver in me. It didn't hurt that I was then able to go drive Route 276, the Tail of the Dragon AND the Cherohala Skyway on my way home
Appreciate 0