02-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Stage 1 BMW PPK just installed and...

It's definitely different.

The power increase isn't tremendous, but it's there. People that aren't in tune with their cars may not feel it as much, if at all. Of course, I'll need to spend more time with it to really give an accurate before and after, but this is what I've noticed so far from a short 15-20 mile drive, all with the DTC OFF (First thing I do when I get into the car unless it's snowing):

PRO's:

1. The throttle response is undoubtedly more sensitive to modulation and responds better overall. Definitely, a noticeable difference beyond stock. +1

2. I know it has no real functionality - but I love the burble...it really comes out after the PPK and makes me feel like a kid again (Which I'm not).

3. First gear pulls about the same but with a smoother delivery, it seems to hook up better (This could also be due to a 'steering wheel angle' calibration they performed - although my DTC was off, hmmm). Second gear doesn't feel any different. Third pulls a little harder, fourth pulls noticeably harder and well, since I was in fourth at full throttle...I backed down...

4. Still FULLY covered under BMW warranty. No questions, no issues (Hopefully).

CON'S:

1. I got an incredible deal on it and I still feel like it was a lot of money for the amount of increased power.

2. I feel more lag now...? I know this is contrary to what other people have said / experienced - but I swear there's more lag and not quite as much pull in second gear. Maybe the reprogramming needs to learn my driving style again? Maybe I need to take it to someone who can tune it better? Not sure on that one...

The bottom line:

Because I didn't pay retail, I feel it's worth it overall. The throttle response alone almost makes it worth it. That said, the power gains are modest...noticeable, but modest.

I do have to give a thank you to the parts manager, David Levin at Tom Bush BMW in Florida (Where I bought the car). He's been fantastic through the process - knowledgeable and very competitive on pricing. I have no reason to look for another parts guy...I highly recommend him.

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0