Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I asked the tech who came on a test drive with me, about adaptation and how long he thinks it takes. He said that adaptation for overall operation will happen within a few days. That's my experience with most cars.
Overall engine ECU adaptation is a continually monitored and adjusted system. With new software most of the base operations happen quickly within a few drives. But, he did say that throttle adaptation could take a good bit longer. He suggested, that if my engine continued operating as it is, that they could do a full "adaptation reset", so that the system would start fresh with the new software. He said there is a chance overall performance might improve.

Frankly I'm a bit pissed by that. Why not do the full reset when they do a new software install? It only makes sense.
I don't know if the lag I and others are feeling is throttle adaptation related.
It would be great if it were as it seems pretty simple to have this done.

Maybe when you took it in that's what they did, a full reset.
I'm going to have them do it to at least try it out, because my current engine performance is not what I expected.
RPM90,

I have definitely had much improvement this week with what i can only assume is engine adaptation. I actually took my car out to some empty roads and really opened it up...WOT 2K-7K rpm in 1-4th gears. Did a few runs and on my last runs my boost pressures where getting higher. Still a bit more lag than before...but able to spin my wheels in gears 1-3 during shifting and acceleration.

tim