View Single Post
      12-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I believe part of the confusion is caused by the phrase "void the warranty". It seems to suggest there is some loophole that the manufacturer can use so they avoid responsibility. I don't think there is and it is easier to understand if we avoid that phrase.

I think the right way to look at it is to ask a different question. If you ask "If I do this to my car and it results in damage to the vehicle, is the manufacturer responsible?" Generally, unless the same manufacturer sold you the part and recommended it for your vehicle the answer to this is no. Even then, there could be a limitation of liability with respect to the new part that would come into play.

Another way to look at it might be to ask "Do I trust this supplier that his parts will not damage my new bimmer?". Dinan is the only one I know of that seriously warrants their parts will not damage your car.

If the new parts do no damage, then nothing to worry about. If they do, then the manufacturer has every legal and moral right to disclaim responsibility. Unfortunately what caused what is often not crystal clear.

Pulling the parts before you go in is only going to make it a little more uncertain if you installed a tune or something. More boost can blow a head gasket and would be suspected regardless of whether there is a tune present when you take it in. There could also be codes they can read to tell them.

Jim