View Single Post
      08-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #224
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hi guys,

Comparing autos to manuals is almost pointless. In 1st and 2nd gear, a high powered car has no benefit over one with lower power. It is traction limited so goes no fast tha a car with 50kw less. But the big difference here is that the manual has to get off the gas at the 60 foot mark to change gears, so sits at 50kph for 0.5 seconds waiting to accelerate in 2nd where the auto continues to accelerate, so the auto is ahead. Bt then the high powered manual will quickly catch up on speed, but is behind on distance. As you get into the high gears you stay in gear for longer, so speed the higher powered car has more speed and catches the lower powered auto and overtake in the last 50m going 6mph quicker. This is the reason why autos are quicker on this platform. You all know this. I was very satisfied with Dales driving (well done mate!!), and was expecting this result.

We have some plans to address this. Hopefully next outing we will have drag tyres and launch control to get out of the box better and not have to back off the throttle to control wheels spin if the tyres are good enough. We also will be enabling flat shift. So the driver will be able to put the clutch in without taking his foot off the throttle and the Procede will cut the ignition to lower the revs, but the turbo will stay at full speed meaning full boost instantly in the next gear... Can be hard on clutches if not setup right but easy on the box. If the tyres work out well enough, I say this car will do 11.5 at 125. A 1.6 60 foot will get the 11.5. The flat shift will get an extra 2 mph as the boost will be at 20psi for an extra 1-2 seconds of the run. If this was achieved it would be well within the ball park of the world record n54s from the USA.

Adrian
Appreciate 0