10-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ForAllFor1 View Post
I called a BMW dealership and was told that it IS a very big deal. They told me run flats CANNOT be repaired and they must be replaced. And seeing as tires have to be replaced in twos, what's that going to put me out, $800? Sigh. This is going to end badly, I can just feel it.

UPDATE: I visited a local gas station and checked the air with the help of an attendant. He told me the tires ALL seemed slightly low, but none to a worrisome level, and indicated that there don't appear to be any nails or foreign objects imbedded. I tried the reset and got nowhere. Now what? UGGGGGGH.

Ok first of all, a Run flat MOST CERTAINLY can be patched. You're being BSed by your service department for two reasons: Liability in a sue happy nation, and money on the sale of new tires.

Second, don't trust the gages at gas stations.Those things get ran over, thrown down, dropped, kicked, drop kicked....you name it. They're not even close to being a precision instrument. Go to an autoparts store and get a gage for $4 and check them yourself. The exact pressure for your car is listed inside the drivers side door jam. The monitoring systems is set to go off when the tires are around 10PSI low generally, but it might vary depending on your car.
Appreciate 0