View Single Post
      11-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

I ordered an AW exterior with black leather interior and went through the trim choice dilemma too. The AW trim looked kinda cool in the brochure and definitely had that "athletic" look with the black interior and white exterior, but it was a bit too contrasty for me and I thought might be distracting. So I went with the grey poplar for a touch of class. The sporty vs. classy trim on a 135 debate will rage without end and I don't take sides. It's all just what you like. If piano black had been available I'd have gone for that in a heartbeat, but it wasn't. The high-gloss black on the 2012 model is NOT piano black. I've seen pictures of it with colored flakes in it and it doesn't have that rich Steinway piano black look. I've heard that piano black was available in the past and why BMW replaced it with this high-gloss black is beyond me. So for me there were only two choices - AW or grey poplar and I went with the poplar. After doing so I had second thoughts - that AW kept leaping up at me out of the brochure - and I posted a question about second guessing my choice to the forum just like you are doing. The overwhelming response I got affirmed the choice I had made, and yet I still have a nagging doubt. I mean, with AW exterior and black leather interior that AW trim is distinctive and really makes a statement. But would it be too much, over the top? I figured I'd love it or hate it and I didn't want to risk hating it, so I went with the poplar which looked good in the cars I saw at the dealership. I just hope it doesn't come out with a brownish tinge.
Appreciate 0