09-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
This, and the compound on the 3rd gen Bridgestone RFTs are now supposedly the same as the non-RFT variants. I love my RFTs, both on the road and for competition. They've treated me well so far.

I've read quite a few threads now where people are disappointed after making the switch to non-RFTs because of the "sluggish" feeling of the tires, even though grip is possibly improved. That's why I haven't bothered to swap out the RFTs for autocross even though everyone there is saying "those are run flats? Man, I feel sorry for you" when talking in grid waiting for our runs. At the end of the day though, they always end up saying "Man, you're fast on those run flats!"

I ran faster than several experienced drivers in modified cars with supposedly stickier tires, including a very seasoned driver in an RX-8 with Hoosiers and all STU class cars last event and I've only done 7 events total, 3 with the 135, so I don't consider myself a great driver either. I even left the day thinking I could have gone faster, I even knocked 1 full second off my time on my last run.

The Bridgestone RFTs on the 2011s (possibly 2010s too) are great tires. Maybe on a track day with extended periods at high speeds/temperatures, the RFTs may not be so great... but for the majority, the RFTs are great.
They should be asking if you have DCT. RFT compliance can't deal with a bumpy road surface and have tendency to skip off the road and unsettle the car.
Appreciate 0