View Single Post
      04-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #34
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I'd say if you can get the M3, don't pass it up. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRush View Post
Do I go for the M3 knowing that the fuel economy will be half what I get now, have the old iDrive with DVD based nav, but know that I will have all that wonderful power, a bigger car where people actually fit in the back, and those amazing seats?

or

Do I stick to my economical (well against the M3) 125i where I have more than enough power for day-to-day, the amazing new idrive, and more cash in my pocket than if I went for the M3?
At the risk of sounding presumptuous, you seem to value the economy of the 125i over the considerable performance advantage the M3 offers. Nothing wrong with that. You know the power is there, but will you use it on any normal enough basis to justify the outlay (and decreased economy)?
One thing to keep in mind is that at most sane and legal speeds, a slower car could very well feel more fun than a much faster, grippier car. The 125i will likely relay sensations of speed (leaning, scrubbing tires, engine rpm's, etc) much earlier than the M3. Did you drive these two cars head to head yet?

As for the rear seats, is this M3 the E90 sedan? The E92 coupe doesn't offer that much more space; I seem to recall a fair bit more legroom, but the seating position seemed higher with less headroom than the 1er.
Personally, I consider the smaller external size of the 1-Series a big plus over the 3. But if you regularly carry back seat passengers and it's a 4-door M3, then that is a very important consideration IMO. Not just in terms of space but in terms of passenger access.
Appreciate 0