09-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #64
Matt135i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Space Grey DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
First off, welcome

I suspect the reason why most people are not going for this is that it gives you no extra power, but costs a lot more for parts, and even more for installation (Since it's a lot more than just updating the ECU).

The following statements are generalizations I've seen since I joined -- I'm far from an expert since I don't track my car...

That being said, many people here who do track their cars run into limp mode issues pretty easily depending on the track, the driver skill, mods, and weather. Some attribute this to oil temperature, and some attribute it to water temperature. While both fluids do cool the engine, coolant is the preferred method for cooling.

When it comes to keeping the cooling in check for track duty or for lower/more consistent temps in a hot area, the best way to do this is to upgrade the cooling system. You can do this with a better primary radiator (best bet, but expensive) or you can add another smaller radiator to the system (What "Stage 2" does). Further, even if you do add a better primary radiator, you are still using the stock fan motor. The Stage 2 adds a more powerful fan motor to further assist in cooling.

In the end, stage2 is ...IMO... for more consistent performance, not for "more" performance.

I consider it a great deal only because anytime you can buy a BMW radiator, some BMW hoses and a new BMW Hi-Po Radiator fan for (only) $1200, it's a good deal to me.

I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet that a better primary radiator costs more than $1200 by itself.
Thanks. I've seen posts on the install price of Stage 1. Does anyone have an install price for Stage 2?
Appreciate 0