View Single Post
      01-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #150
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I'm just trying to figure out how ESS manages to sell a flash at home worldwide for all N54 equipped cars. I'm guessing it simply overwrites the OEM software with their own and it really doesnt matter where the car is from since all the vehicle's hardware is identical anyway....and the ECU compensates automatically for small variances in temperature and fuel quality anyway.

Since Cobb isnt making a product suited to cars outside the USA (I like many others *was* really excited by Cobb coming into the market) I am looking at pulling the pin on the ESS version, but just need to know how they have been able to cater for all cars around the world so easily and quickly....

ESS is a good company and they have been tuning BMW's for a long time. Probably longer then anyone in the states. However, they are expensive and I have heard that their handheld unit is not a robust as Cobb Tuning.

Also, they charge about $500 for each tune that you purchase which seems very expensive to me.

They tuned my E46 M3 and it was okay. Very difficult to compare an NA tune to a FI tune.

I decided to go with the Cobb tune because I feel like their overall product is probably better then ESS. I also had a bad experience with ESS where they lost my DME for about 2 weeks. I won't go into details but I was very pissed because I did not have my car for 2 weeks.

IMO Cobb is trying to put together the best tune that they can for the N54. That engine is their entire focus at this point for BMW's. It is great for those of us who own a car with this wonderful engine.

ESS tunes every car that BMW makes so I doubt that they have spent as much time on this engine as Cobb has.

So, I purchase the Cobb tune and should receive it tomorrow. I look forward to getting it installed and having Topspeed in Atlanta custom tune my car when their pro tuner becomes available later this year.

That is another thing, ESS doesn't offer their tuning software to any other vendors. I like that Cobb has given us all an option to get a custom tune at local shops.
Appreciate 0