View Single Post
      08-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominun View Post
So I've been running mhd flash tune on my car for the last couple months. I'm fbo right now running a 25% mix. I just looked up some posts and it says that having a jb4 paired with mhd would increase the reliability of the engine. Is that actually the case? If so, would my mhd flash maps be of no use? Thanks again
To directly answer your question, there are a few "perks" to stacking a JB4 with a flash tune, but there is nothing to it that will "increase the reliability of the engine." In fact, a custom flash tune dialed in for your specific car and mods is ideal for drive-ability and consistency. Directly changing the DME tables with a flash tune renders the JB4 useless not the other way around, with the exception of a few of the "perks" of adding on a JB4:

* No boost until oil (or is it coolant??) gets up to 180f
* Gauge hijacking (pretty stupid "feature" in my opinion that #1 can't accurately be read and #2 messes with your ability to see your oil temps and fuel levels lol)
* JB4 adds ability to run meth/pi/secondary fuel pump setup
* Instantaneous map switching via steering wheel controls (I would argue that this is not as straightforward as people want you to believe it is. JB4 does still require other settings to be fine tuned when you change maps/boost. Also, if you have a back-end flash the DME tables have been re-scaled to work with a more aggressive boost curve than the base JB4 maps. You end up relying on DME table "overhead" or "safety net" when you start changing load/boost too far from the curve the DME expects to see. Most JB4 users are content with having several degrees of timing corrections across an entire pull. DME is pretty robust in its ability to remove timing when the boost curve is too aggressive for the given octane. Flash tuning aims to dial in timing for the given fuel and boost so that these corrections never occur in the first place.)
* Bluetooth logging (JB4 logging is not nearly as extensive as MHD though so its more of creature comfort than actual benefit)
* Shift lights in-dash using the turn signals
* Other "features" that you can find yourself on BMS website that mostly entail things that are really only necessary to make the JB4 device itself user friendly.

And as a side note, there are no performance gains to adding on a JB4 device (see above how JB4 can be used as a boost controller but there is a limit to how far you can adjust things before the DME runs out of overhead to compensate). The only thing it's good for after already being flash tuned is for its can-bus features and its ability to control a meth/pi/secondary fuel pump setup.

Last edited by bNks334; 08-01-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0