03-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #75
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Hi guys, and special thanks to Mr Zuzu for his time, money spent and most importantly for his patience. While a 16hp is quite an impressive gain for such a relatively small mod, it confirms that there's definitely a power gain, together with a bit more sound. Now why it is a bit more than expected could be down to:
1: more milage
2: type and temperature of fuel
3: running-in oil Vs normal oil
As for the M button, most tuners seem to agree it has a negilgible effect on the curves, so what could explain the difference here could be the following. Zuzu explained us that his car made a bit more power after each run, which is unusual. But we know also that the ECU is progressively adapting to fuel quality. So if the last fill up was better than the previous, it would explain why the 1st run (M off) and then subsequent runs (M on) showed increasing numbers. In this case the increase would reflect ECU adaptation, and not M button position. German/swiss tuners are known to measure their cars with 100 to 102 octane gas, so it certainly makes a difference. There was also an article in EVO on the subject, where they used a Golf 5 GTI to rate the different fuels available in the UK, with significant differences. But anyway, back to this post: the mid-pipe is in my view the single most interesting modification for the 1M.
Thanks again, Zuzu !
Agreed. Interesting input, I also consider the mid-pipe change the way I did consider the change of tires to PSS that I am already experiencing with great satisfaction, these are the cost effective mods for the 1M which do not alter the driving characteristics of the car to something else, void warranty or put a hole in your wallet.

From what others also commented, like Advevo's input, the gains are not limited to a slight (or not) increase in power/torque, it enhances the sound, it cures the drone (partially or more), it gives better throttle response, it makes the engine more free reving at the top of the band where it needs it, is OEM part which fits just like a glove and costs more or less the same of a rear spoiler. Well, I am sold.

Zuzu, thanks for all the time and patience.
Appreciate 0