11-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #49
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
From a performance standpoint a 1M performance can be matched / exceeded with a properly tuned 135. All the core pieces are there or can be swapped / alternatives used.

It's really a matter of costs / values and understanding the worth to the buyer. In my mind the real desirable aspects of the 1m is the looks and prestige. So for me to achieve that in a 135 would require both performance upgrades ($10K +) plus body work (another $10K +) and I still wouldn't have the prestige (and warranty likely)

With that a 1m with low miles for mid 50K is the better option for someone like me. Otherwise I settle for the looks of a 135 with very good 1m like performance.
I am assuming by "performance" you mean power and straightline speed. Then you are totally correct. Otherwise I am yet to see any tuned 135i (or any other tuned N54/N55 engined BMW) putting better lap times on any track. Correct me if I am wrong, maybe I missed some. On paper, I agree that achieving handling performance should be possible too; but how much work and money is needed to get there as well? So, again we are at the point that it all depends on what he wants to do with his next car, what he expects from it. He should just go and drive them, that's all.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0