View Single Post
      03-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I'm using Esso SuperPlus (98) - as well. All of "us" in the military system use it - IF we want to use tax free gas! lol Esso states on its pumps that its gasolines are "Sulpher Free". I think this is the main difference between gas over here, than "over there"!

The service manager at my local BMW Zentrum told me the HPFP is not an "issue" over here in Deutschland - when I asked him about this problem. he said it has to do with the better fuels over here.

I remember about 22 years ago.... a small tuning company in DC called APE (Autothority Performance Engineering, in Va.) ran some dyno tests on USA vs German gas. They knew of a freindly Lufthansa pilot who flew over a 55 gallon drum of SuperPlus. At that time Porsche was de-tuning their cars bc they said in the states you have bad gas. But APE's tests showed that 98 Super Plus was equal to 93-94 octane Sunocco fuel. After that Porsche slowly started to tune their US cars to ROW specs. Today its almost no differnce except for SAE Hp vs DIN PS ratings.

I think its fair to say that in the US there is not one standard type of fuel package. It varies from state to state, EPA xone to zone. Until this changes - the us will be stuck with this wiches brew of differnt gasolines from city to city.

bye
Appreciate 0