View Single Post
      08-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #23
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

I'm sorry, but the original M1 was not the "great car" everyone makes it out to be. First of all, it was extremely overpriced and thus the company sold very few. The car was designed to be raced, yet won very few races because by the time BMW put it into production racing rules had changed. Furthermore, the car was not even truly designed by BMW, instead, it was designed by Lamborghini/Giugiaro, and it wasn't until Lamborghini went through some financial trouble that BMW took over the project. The BMW M1 is remembered not as a barnstorming incredible sports car but instead as a civilized super car of the 1970s. Sure, technically the M1 was the "first" M car, but I think the reality is that the 2002 Turbo was the real first M car and if someone offered me an M1 or a 2002 Turbo, I'd certainly take the latter simply because it was a real BMW and not some over-hyped Italian fake. In conclusion, I see absolutely no problem with BMW making a real BMW M1 based on the current 1 series coupe body.
Appreciate 0