View Single Post
      06-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #44
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
I don't think this is true - BMW has indicated that it is trying to emulate the sporty, fun-to-drive aspect of those earlier leaner models but it has never said it is trying to emulate the look of them. And if you are trying to appeal to the enthusiast driver, as BMW claims it is, why make something that looks like a stodgy grocery-getter?

There might be a business case for sacrificing a more sporty coupe profile if the sedan-type styling provided for true 4-passenger seating, but every review I have seen of the 1 series 3 and 5 door models makes it clear the back seats will have no more leg room than you get in a 911 - and a 911 is the farthest thing from stodgy you can get in a 2+2. (See the R32 vs 130i Topgear review on Youtube for video of the back seat (no) legroom.)
Considering that they will shooting this car and comparing it with the E30 and 2002, I would say they are indeed trying to emulate the look of those cars. Plus, our two insiders (SCOTT and ENI) have more or less confirmed this. BTW, you think this car looks like a stodgy grocery getter :iono:? I would hate to hear what you think of a civic.....

The height of the roofline does not usually dictate legroom . Instead it affects headroom and visibility, but of which will be excellent in this car.
Appreciate 0