01-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmee150 View Post
I'm really confused about the M1

Some people talk about it as if it's just a faster 135i. I.e. built on the 1 series coupe, priced more like a 335i but wearing the M badge.

Whereas others talk about the M1 as if it's an Audi R8 competitor based on the looks of the Efficient Dynamics Vision Concept:

Is it possible both cars are coming and people just aren't clear about which one they are talking about? From what I can tell it sounds like the 1 Series base one might be shown at Geneva 2010 for a 2011 launch, whereas the supercar will be shown in 18 months maybe for 2012 sales.

What do you think?

Tim
First of all, this picture is a PS blending an M3 with an R8 and has been posted all over the net for over a year. It has no resemblence to any car planned by BMW.

The M1 coming is the 1-series variant based on the E82 (and E88). Like you say, it will be shown as a concept in Geneva and launched as production car in 2012.

As of now, there are now plans for a successor of the old M1. BMW considered building both the M1 Hommage and the VED, but it seems like both projects were axed. There will be a new supercar coming at some time, but - most likely - not within the next 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmee150 View Post
1978 BMW M1 spotted with camouflage. But why?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/11/28/19...flage-but-why/

Any explanation other than something new is coming...? Nothing makes people expect it less than saying it's not in the works, think how often that happens!

Tim
This was some kind of prank. BMW took an original M1 out of their classic collection and applied their disguise film. Although being just the old car, several people got asked and speculated heavily (and wrongly) as to what new car this is. The only purpose of this activity was to show the work of BMW's prototype camouflage and the passerby's reaction to it.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0