spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
In general I would say the 135 if dual purpose. However IMO you need to budget time/money to ensure their track worthiness (many of the parts listed here).
Yep. My initial actions will be simple since i will probably not stress the M-sport suspension or the brakes for a while with my entry level skill:

1. Fluids replacement (oil, DCT, brake, PS, coolant)
2. Drop in K&N air filter
3. Aftermarket FMIC (this was the upgrade on my 335i that was most impactful IMO)
4. Replace water pump and thermostat (these fail at 75-85K on 335i's...assume these are the same design.)

Toying with the idea of getting a tune from WedgePerformance right away if I get the 135i, just to have the ability to turn off the brake nannies more than power, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
The Cayman is a better track car although I would be worried about the IMS bearing on a 2007 if it hasn't been already addressed.
<googles IMS bearing failures>

Proves that every car has an Achilles heel. Except the 1993 Toyota Camry, apparently.

http://www.theonion.com/article/toyo...really-s-50480

Thx for the tip. I did some reading and, the only bit of good news is that the 06-08MY's IMS's are much less prone to failure. The bad news is that they are not user-servicable...

I will ask the dealer with the Cayman about whether the car has had the IMS replaced. If not, I will pass. Thx for the heads up.
I also build custom tunes too, they perform pretty damn well. Email me at spx.tuning@gmail.com

Also for y'all CA based folks, I'm working on partnerships with track day groups for this page I threw together (def work in progress) catrackdays.com