View Single Post
      02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post

What I consider a minor disadvantage of BMW's EDC (made by ZF/Sachs) is that once activated (comport or sport), according to an M source, the power consumption is steady at 0.9 and 1.8 amps.

More importantly I tried to research the specs of the dampers and their settings themselves. So far I only have the 3M competition EDC curves with the 1M together the M3 ZCP EDCs show that for the rear that 1M rebound is mostly equal to the firmest EDC setting, ie besides neatly increasing the turn-in resistance from the front dampers, with EDC you'll add mostly comfort for the rear axle
I had the occasion to compare 1M, E90EDC E92EDC and E93EDC E92 front dampers.

here my findings (dampers tested by hand without EDC signal I=0A)

From softer to harder:
1M E92 E92EDC E90EDC E93EDC

The E90EDC + E92EDC and non EDC have the same length

In the 1M front dampers the body is exactly the same as E92 but the shaft goes 8mm less out.
I don't know if the shaft is shorter or if simply the internal higher bump stop is thicker in the 1M dampers???????? maybe someone could fin this out???
The same for the rear, body the same but shaft going out 6mm less

I found that the E93EDC front left damper has the shaft as short as the 1M damper, but the right damper has the same as the E92 damper!!!!!
This is completely crazy, I thought the E93 damper was defective, I bought another 2 E93EDC dampers and exactly the same, one is like the E92 the other is shorter like the 1M.
Is intentionally by BMW to make different length dampers L/R???? I could not get my hands on rear E93EDC dampers to compare....
Appreciate 0