Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Very imaginative, but no. Dinan and HPA Shop are not idiots. Real race drivers tested the various swaybars in real cars on real race tracks. Theories are good, but facts are better.
I didnt say they were idiots, i'm just trying to understand where their data comes from. Since they just tell me, we tested a bunch... cuz that means nothing. I could go out and test a bunch of exhaust systems all tell you which was better based on my butt dyno, but that wouldnt mean shit to anyone.

I wanna know based on design why an increased size hampers performance. And possible see the test data, understand how many tests were done and if there were with the same drivers. Too many variables and not enough test laps can make a source unreliable.

As far as i understand (and my knowledge base in suspension is not as strong as other areas) a stiffer rear staw bar is going to allow for the car to roll through the corners at an increased speed because it will more evenly balance weight distribution among the wheels, increasing traction on the inside wheel. I.e. there wont be as much weight on the outer wheel. Of course an LSD that can balance the force between the two wheels will take advantage of this and increase the amount of throttle possible when moving through and exiting the corners without spinning the wheels. A proper driver without an LSD would roll the car through the corners and power out on the exits taking a different line to maximize speed in. From what i've learned, this method would be faster with a stiffer rear bar than the standard method of taking a corner with a balanced car. I've never seen a car get slower from a stiffer rear sway bar before when driven properly, but that doesnt mean it cant happen. Just trying to understand.
Appreciate 0