View Single Post
      12-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Got a square setup 128i today

My 2009 128i cabrio is one of two vehicles I drive so it just got 4 new tires - mileage was about 24,400 and rears were at the wear bars. I went with Michelon Pilot Super Sports in 225/45/zr17 all the way around. I've only driven them a couple miles home so far but the ride seemed to be a little better. My car has the sport package - you had to get it in 2009 to get 17 inch wheels. I'll try and add something when I've driven them more and have a better feel for the ride.

My front wheels are 0.5 inch narrower than my rears and you can see the sidewall bulge a very little bit on the fronts but I think it looks good. The place I got them gave me a price lower than tire rack's so I was out the door for about $850 (tire rack was $782 with shipping but without mounting or balancing). They provide free rotation but said they wouldn't do front to back. I guess I'll have to do that myself. I don't know why they didn't want to go front to back but I tend to do things myself anyway.

I carry a compressor and may get a plugging kit. I've gotten very few flats over the years so I'm not real worried.

Besides rotation the reason I went square is to reduce understeer. I'll need an autocross session to get a good handle on that.

Jim