08-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
The real issue to me is the space they take up. BMW, in its wisdom, didn't design a well in the trunk to take a donut. So you're stuck with it taking up precious cargo space.
Exactly. My wife and I used to take extended trips in a Z3 with very limited trunk space and though it had a spare, it was almost impossible to get to. Replacing it with a first generation Z4 (our first car with RFTs), increased the available trunk space by 50% to nearly 9 cu. ft. and made 4 week road trips much easier.

So we adopted the same solution BMW came up with for the M3, and which touring motorcyclists have used for years - a "Mobility Kit" consisting of a small 12v Compressor + Plug Kit and (perhaps) Sealant.

While none of that helps if the tire is totally destroyed by a blowout, all of my punctures for the past 20 years have resulted in relatively slow leaks. I also carry the compressor in my RFT equipped BMW so that a punctured RFT may be reinflated as necessary while driving it to a repair facility.

If you don't need the space in your trunk, than by all means throw a spare tire, jack and tire changing tools in there - but how often will it be needed?

Tom
Appreciate 0