10-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
I agree with Pete, but it is obviously a matter of personal preference. I run 18in M3 wheels on mine, wearing PS3 in 255/40/18 in the back. So yes, I've got less grip, but on the road I set the DSC in intermediate mode, so I'm staying safe. And when on track with DSC off, it will slide in a friendly and predictible way. Mind you, I don't put it sideways in 4th gear turns, at least not on purpose !! Of course, your not going to beat any time records that way... Other benefits of those tires: they are less expensive and more comfortable, so what's not to like ?
Just a short reminder that PS3 and PSS are quite different tires. There has been so much confusion about these two at the time so just want to remind that. The PSS is the new generation PS2 and PS3 is in fact a new tire for another category. Not even sure that in US they have the PS3 available. I used them both, PS3 on a different car for two years and PSS still on my 1M. PS3 is not really designed for cars like 1M but more like GTI category hatches, small sporty cars and sedans. It is a totally road performance tire with lots of comfort. It is even more smoother and quieter than the PSS but does not have the same ultimate grip levels and handling characteristics of the PSS. They can be used with the 1M too, of course, for the very reasons that you just mentioned. Just not the same tires at all. Later when and if you put PSS on your 1M you will see what I mean which may effect the way you drive your 1M on the road. I think you just can leave a (stock) 1M with PSS tires with MDM on or even DSC off all the time, other than extreme weather conditions, and you will be fairly safe.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0