View Single Post
      12-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
xrraated
Rep
Drives: Honda civic

Quote:
How to Find and Deal With a Transmission Repair Shop

This section should be easy: Ask questions, ask questions! In the transmission business, there is a lot of room for the shop to, well… be dishonest. Some transmission shops in my area are trustworthy and very good at what they do. Now let’s define what is good, and what is bad.

Just as I’ve stressed throughout the book, you need to find someone you can trust and believe. You will probably only set foot in the transmission repair shop once during the life of your car. Thank God for that. Most car transmissions are made to last the life of the vehicle if properly maintained and serviced regularly. Most automatic transmissions have a filter that should be replaced, and the fluid changed periodically. Check the owner’s manual for service interval, but a good rule of thumb is to change the filter and the fluid every 25,000 miles under normal conditions.

What are normal conditions you ask? The owners manual will usually list what they feel is normal and severe driving conditions in the scheduled maintenance section of the manual. I have found that the term “severe driving condition” usually refers to having the air conditioning on while the engine is running. If this was the case, it might suggest that you service the transmission every 30 days to avoid premature wear and internal damage on used transmissions for sale

The manufacturers do a great job at protecting their rears from lawsuits, and will sometimes be a little too protective, so also ask your auto repair mechanic for his opinion. If you are in need of transmission work, you should ask your regular repair shop if they do transmission repairs in house or subcontract the work to another shop. If your regular repair shop is willing to send the car to their transmission repair shop, let them do it for you.

Anyone bought a used transmission online? I need a donor unit to fix my car but all the sites keep asking me for info before they will give me a price.Can anyone recommend a tranmission shop in in ohio
Appreciate 0