View Single Post
      05-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
Hmmmm, if there isn't a seal, maybe I will risk it and if anything does happen touch wood, I'll just switch it back to OEM and return it to the dealer.

I'll have to be extra careful with the clips if they snap easily haha. Do they require much force to click back in?

Thanks for the replies, read a lot of stories like yours 1speedbike but if there isn't a seal, I'll just go for it !
There is padding along the headlight cap to form a seal so moisture can't get in. But there's no "seal" in the sense like when you pop open a snapple you can't get it back to its vacuumed state. There is no vacuum inside the headlight and according to a friend who is a BMW tech there is actually a membrane or something which allows a bit of air exchange with the atmosphere without letting moisture in. I have successfully swapped out my bulbs at least 20 times in my quest for the ultimate H8's and have easily returned to stock each time.

The Bitch Clips tend to not be a problem unless you're not inserting the headlight correctly. You should be able to easily snap the clips into place if you repositioned the light right. Just make sure to move them completely out of the way first.

The big problem... is the tabs..

As I'm sure is listed in every DIY on here, the caps have these two tabs on the bottom. The hardest part is getting the tabs back into their slots because the adaptive headlight motor tends to get in the way, especially on the passenger side where there are two annoying canisters right behind the light and you don't have much room to work.

In order to get the tabs to slide back into place and clear the adaptive headlight motor, you have to angle the caps and slide them down and towards you at 45 degrees. I'll draw a crappy MS paint picture to kind of help illustrate this. Once you get the tabs inserted, then it's a piece of cake. Just make sure no wires are getting caught outside the housing, push the cap gently against the rest of the housing, and snap the clips into place. People break the clips when they don't fully have the cap in place and try to force the clip into a position where it doesn't belong.

Also, do the drivers side first, because there is way more room to work on that side and you can easily get the hang of things before moving on the the cramped passenger side.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0