06-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
thanks spiderz17, would love more info from you....

ok, so i just left a $1k deposit with them... From what i understand BMW HQ will see how many ppl have deposits down and then figure out if they will build more, correct? My lady said maybe in August she will know... that'd be great, since that's when I PCS, and can pick up a Z for around $36k. Money is an object, but i figured 1m would not depriciate much, and i was planning to keep it for a while. I don't want just a car, i'd love to have a sport car, and not expensive...

big problem for me in Germany is Insurance, USAA quotes/cars i considered:
996TT $9k a year
M3 $5.5k a year
370z $6.5k a year
C63AMG $6k a year
Z06 $3.5k a year (something i can afford).
S4 $4k a year.

All those car insurances would cost me around $100 in Jersey.

I am 26, no points in past 3 years. 2 insurance reports (one 3 yrs ago, car was hit while parked, during a snow storm. second 8 months ago someone smashed a window stole a sterio). USAA says there's nothing on my file that is bad, just that all those cars are pricey...

Was really loking closely at M3's, but insurance would kill me... and another minus is gas milage... I plan on road triping thru europe.
Yowza, those are some steep insurance rates. I'm 29, I have a shitty driving record and USAA quoted a new M3 as only $2500 a year. Maybe you're single and being married makes that big a difference?? Those quotes seem to be quite high.

There are a couple of fly-by-night insurance companies over here (North Atlantic or something like that is one of them), but you get what you pay for. I'm not endorsing them or anything, just saying it's an option. What'd USAA quote you for a 1M? I'd check on that first because the quote for a 1M for me was about the same as the M3, so if it's the same for you that could be a big factor. Maybe you can go with higher deductibles to lower the rates, but that's your call.

As for getting a 1M, BMW HQ has played this very close to the vest. I see a post above where someone is saying they may have opened the 1M ordering system to the mil sales companies. Even still, if they're telling you that you're behind 30-40 people in line, I don't like your odds. You can read some of the other threads, but they're limited in how many they can physically produce at the factory since they're being made alongside regular 1 series and X1s (very popular right now). Like I said, it's a gamble whether you'll get a 1M or not, so just go into it with a back-up plan. Maybe wait until August and if they can't give you a solid yes on a 1M, get the Vette. My $0.02
Appreciate 0