Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsbylauren View Post
Yes I did phrase that badly.
I agree- no need to race on the street or highway- in fact it's a horrible idea.
I never got tickets racing another car.
I did love to drive fast- but only when it was safe- and not when other cars were near. Remember, in a speed trap on the West Side Highway, 62mph is considered speeding.

I suppose a better way to put it would be that I like to feel the power of the car- and if I do need to accelerate, I like the engine to be in a sweet spot.
Explanation accepted.

I find the "sweet spot" cruising speed for my MT 128i is the torque peak of 2,750 RPM, or 75 mph in 6th. I generally downshift at around 2,000 in the upper gears and 1,500 in the lower gears. I've been rewarded with a car which burns only 1/4 quart of oil between 8,000 miles changes and has a cumulative gas mileage average of 27.9 mpg for 33,000 miles.

But since the turbo's torque peak begins much lower (1,500?), why not save gas and cruise in 6th at any speed above 50~55? Naturally, you would be prepared to use the 1er's excellent gearbox to downshift as necessary.

You might also consider taking a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway where 4,000 in 3rd can be both useful and fun.

Tom
Appreciate 0