05-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I have an N55 135i so would like to give this mod a go.

Given your first hand experience, did you have to modify anything to make it fit using this kit? I've read there is some trimming required bit you didn't seem to have done so.
With the HPA kit I did not need to modify anything in order for it to fit. There was no trimming required at all.

The only thing you need to watch out for is if you remove the brace, make sure you use new stock nuts to re-install the stock brace. They're made of aluminium and when I tried to re-install it I ended up ripping the welds or the bolt itself from the top strut mount which then needed replacement $$$.

The nuts which come with the M3 brace appear to be much stronger and I was able to re-use them however it's still probably not advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito1702 View Post
I had the same strut bar (also purchased from Harold), but removed it when I took off the Dinan suspension. Since I still have my M3 front end bits (sway, tension rods, etc) on the car, I did not expect that I some of the steering sloppiness to return, but it did. I had assumed this was a result of the stock springs (linear) and dampers, but after reading this I wonder if it is the due to the strut brace.
It possibly could be and if you still have it I would recommend putting it back on. I ended up transferring it from my E88 to my E82. The difference when just driving normally on the street wasn't as obvious on the E82 however it definitely provides more confidence in harder cornering still and seems to provide a more progressive breakaway with better feel.
Appreciate 0