View Single Post
      03-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #64
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Forged is always better. You can try to put an unrealistic, head in sand spin on it but it just doesnt cut it. Stronger and more expensive to produce. The first one is a win for anybody who knows engine dynamics. The latter is the likely reason they decided not to go forged for the 55.
6,7, 800hp! I've seen and heard about many twisted and broken cranks well under your pulled out of hat #'s! A simple ten minute flash in a N54 is giving cars an additional 100+ hp/tq figures. Thats a big bump for a 300 hp engine right there. Sure the guys who have done so feel a little better having a beefier bottom end.

As for the new M3, that was my point. Speculation and guarantees of what engine will be underhood arent realistic at this time. Just like all the N55 guys with 'insider info' assured us that they were at the meeting where the 55 was certainly going into the 1M!

Did this 'insider' also tell you a surplus of 54's were gotten rid of in the 335is and the 1M? You're saying BMW actually used an inferior left over, antiquated inferior engine for its newest M vehicle? Dont think so.

How do you know they still dont have a huge warehouse full of these 54's collecting dust that they're going to unload on us for the new FI M3? You cant, you dont have a clue why the company is doing what it does. Just throwing mud on the wall hoping it will stick. It doesnt.

With the introduction of the N55 BMW made it very clear in its own literature that the engine is more fuel efficient and cleaner than the the N54. The times are changing. Cleaner, greener are the new buzzwords that will sell cars.

Just like the monster American powerplants of the 60's went away with fuel price and pollution concerns in favor of lesser engines. This is a similar occurance happening here. BMW slightly took the edge off a sharp knife to conform to the times. CAFE regs and pollution are a concern for all automakers and they make adjustments.
You clearly know absolutely nothing about BMW as a company. BMW entire business plan is set around continuous new innovation without any negatives.

Yes they went cleaner with this engine...as they have always been with all of their engines. BMW engines have always proven to be innovative...I mean my 97' 328i before the whole gas milage freak out with the coming of hybrid cars did 32 mpg on the highway. That was better than most hybrid cars even today.

Just because BMW brought new innovations to a engine hardly means they slacked off on other ends to make that possible. A great example of this was their concept on turbos. Until they could remove the downsides to turbos they refused to put them on their vehicles...They were absolutely not willing to put turbos on the car because even though it had its benefits...it would take away from the other things that made a BMW...a BMW.

BMW has always been a company that brought on innovation without a downside...you should keep that in mind before you insult the N55 and try to claim it is worse because it is more efficient.

Both engines are amazing and at a standpoint of innovation are quite incredible. Please unless you have factual information do not try to claim bullshit you actually have no clue about (claiming that it is a worse engine because it is more efficient).

Last edited by Aries932; 03-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: wanted to make a change.
Appreciate 0