View Single Post
      10-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

I thought based on the amount of views this thread got that I should post a follow up.

It took a long time to make a decision, but suddenly I had a moment of clarity with it all. I do not love the harsh ride and tendency to bubble\blow out on impact. However the car is safest (it's a Cabrio and I regularly have 2 kids and a wife in it) with the RFTs on it.

I've done a TON of reading about this issue. Seems like there are a few factors at play:

-Roads are in dismal shape from a rough winter and low budgets
-the factory M wheels are a brittle weak casting
-the runflats are harsh and brittle as well
-the front rim width and 215 tire size is narrow making it susceptible to damage

I thought for sure I was going to a CSL rep and PSS set up, however I changed my mind. The primary reason the RTFs are put on the car is predictability in the event of a blowout. Even with a cracked rim and blown tire, the car behaved flawlessly. I'm not convinced that non-RTFs in the factory size will fare any better dealing with potholes. I feel more comfortable knowing that I have a better chance getting the car off the road safely with the RTFs. If I wasn't using the car the way I am, I might have gone with the pilots sports for driveabilith alone. I had them on my 337 and loved them.

If I had a coupe, I would have definitely gone with the CSL/PSS combo in stock size.

I hope this thread is helpful to someone else thinking the same things.
Appreciate 0