View Single Post
      02-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #76
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

This all looked like an April's fool prank to me (Albeit on the wrong date, which makes it harder to detect and gets more people hooked).

With titles like "Latest info on 335", who's this guy to have "insider" information anyways? I could come up with a host of new features for Windows 2010, saying I got that directly from Microsoft, but would any of you believe me? Nobody thought there was something fishy about all this?

It goes even further, some people believed (Or wanted to believe) so much this information, that they may have delayed orders... On real good cars. Based on what... Word of mouth?

What forum rules were violated by Trine to merit banning?

1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Through the generations of BMW, enthusiasts have come together for the love of the car and the community. So the basic rules of real life apply here, show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it.

There was no personnal attack watsoever. I've seen writings that were very direct and did not cause any banning. If humor (Playing a prank) is disrespectful, that's the first I hear about it.

2) Search. These forums tend to accumulate knowledge, and so when you have a question do a simple search first. Alot of times, the best answers will be found in old threads that have gone over the topic in detail. If you can't find your answer or are still unclear, then by all means don't be afraid and post your question.

No question on an already exploited subject was asked.

3) Disagree, don't attack. Disagree on topics, but try to leave it at that. Just because you don't like someones opinion on the car's engine, doesn't mean you should call him and his mother all sorts of names Disagreements are awesome, and you should call someone on something you don't agree with, but don't go out of your way to insult and flame someone. Please consider if you would say to someone's face the same thing you are posting.

No insulting or flaming took place.

4) Help. Be helpful, we are all probably here because of a question and people will go out of their way to help you. Try to do the same if you have the answer to a question posted. BMW-E90 enthusiasts have to stick together. If you think not telling others about some technical info you have will make you and your car unique, and prefer to be unique then share this information, then this forum is not for you. Help each other with questions and answers and I guarantee you, one day it will pay you back on here.

The information shared was vaporware, so it didn't help... But pictures and stories of crashes don't help either, I don't see why that joke is worse in this regard.

5) Offtopic in Offtopic forum. Well this should be self explanatory

If that thing had been posted in the Offtopic forum, either two things would have happened:

1 - It would have been moved to this forum, or;

2 - It would have immediately been recognized as a prank, greatly diminishing its effectiveness.

6) Make suggestions

Well, it could have been taken as a suggestion to BMW to come up with something that has the same kind of power as an IS300 or G35.

Anyways, I am in no way defending what was done by Tine because it was a waste of time for a few people, but at the same time I can't help but think that the punition was a bit strong.

This was intended as a joke, now could anyone telle me where has gone the concept of free speech?
Appreciate 0