Thread: Mobil 1 0W-40
View Single Post
      06-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Mobil-1's 0w40 LL-1 oil sold in the USA. THIS is the ONLY Mobil-1 oil you should use in the USA/NA in a BMW.

This oil can be purchased over here in Germany thru the PX on US bases over here. The German Mobil-1 oil is much more expensive ($30 per liter!) and of a different formula and is LL-4 rated.

Here is a picture of the various Mobil-1 oils sold at my local German supermarket. take note of those prices!

I have to say that I have found the German Castrol (G.C.) oil to be really, much better oil than the above Mobil-1 LL-1 oil. I have been using German Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL-4 oil and I am really impressed with it. Sure it does costs more (Mobil-1 on base costs $7/lier while the G.C. costs me $17 per liter!). But it is worth it. The G.C. makes my engine run cooler (two needle widths lower) and the engine is MUCH quieter on cold starts and when warmed up. With the Mobil-1 my engine sounded more metalic, esp when cold.

My advice would be to only use the approved Castrol oil sold thru BMW dealers in the USA.

Dackel
Appreciate 0