flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
people who've actually physically done things to it?

i work on mobile phone (radio transmission) systems, and i could say a particular piece of hardware can only tolerate xyz, but the reality is i can't be sure until it's been put under that sort of load.

and the 7psi of a supercharger is less than the 20 odd that would be put through on a turbocharged system anyway, different systems flow volumes of air differently.
So, you dont think BMW with all its avalable R&D funds and many, many mech engineers and all that they offer never tested their state of the art engine(block, internals...) to see what pressures it could take? Do you think they wanted to spend all that money and time in developing a new engine(N54) to handle the F/I if they could have used the N52? I dont think so.

The N54/55 engines are factory boosted to a little over 8lbs not 20+. They are turned up a bunch by some aftermarket tuners though and thats often when problems start.
If the N52 could have reliably handled 7-8lbs of boost I'm confident they would have used it. I think Mr. Welters satement says it all and ends debate. Sure, you might see someone come out with a kit. There are always unscupulous companies looking to make a buck not caring who they might hurt but respectable companies likely wont touch this with a ten ft pole, and havent in 8 years! They know the repercussions down the road with grenaded engines and mad customers everywhere.
There are many tried and true ways to make good N/A power with the N52 engines. F/I isnt the way to go though.
What do you mean time and money developing the n54? You do realize they basically took one of their old motors and strapped two snails to it.. No frills and sensible boost.. A 3l turbo pushing barely over 300hp, that's lazy, the fact that a basic plug n play tune gets as much power as it does shows that fact lol

The tunes on the n54 don't encounter block or head problems, more valves gumming up and fuel pumps failing?

There arent really any proven ways to get power, it's taken hours of searching to find a couple of totally separate people who've gone for bug numbers, and you know what the common factor is..?

They ALL went for a motec, aftermarket ecu, to actually tune it.

If a 1.6/1.8 etc. b16/b18 honda motor can get to 600hp, heck, even the 1.8 4g93 mitsubishi handles 7 odd psi sc on sock flimsy rods, the SIGNIFICANTLY stronger n52 hould be able to do a lazy 400-450

The way i see it, of course they'd want to cover their asses as to why the 'superior' engine is being left behind.

I challenge you to find me someone who has properly modded te n52 on oem ecu. And tell me that's not what's stopping them.

Heck, even in watching gavin's process, the tuning seems to be their biggest issue.

Bmw is a business, they could have spent their money testing the n52 to the end of it's life, or gone with an alu and cast iron block that needs NO testing lol

-- i keep thinking of more reasons for then not to.. A forced induction super light weight engine in a light weight car, in that case even the *35's would have been dangerously m-competing engines...

Worst case, mmw's n52 grenades on the boost they're chasing, and i'll go my merry way and go for a 400bhp all motor

Best case it works (realistically out of everyone in the world gavin ha had the most experience with FI N52's) and someone (maybe me? Haha) will see how much boost they can actually take til they pop haha. 7psi is basically nothing in engineering terms, even the 18psi (on stock turbos) the n54's push is considered moderate in terms of what 'high' boost is. Twincharger setups in vw's are 3x psi from memory, and i know one guy over 60 in a moderately worked 4g63's (then theres the blueprinted ones being made at 70 something high static compression lol, but those ones are race onesthat get stripped every 10000)
Appreciate 0