View Single Post
      02-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Disagree....this is tilting the car on it's side, putting a single contact point under the rear diff (center of the car) and letting the car rotate (in a sense) on to the jack stand as you let the car down. This is not direct downward force applied to the jackstand but a combination of downward and lateral force, not what those jackstands are designed for. And if you're just putting it there for "safety"...major fail as the car will be falling at that point and the likely hood of that jack stand shooting out from under the car is very high.

My opinion, jack from the rear diff. Place each of your jack stands not under the control arm, but under where the control arm bolts to the subframe. Just a few inches from where you have the jackstand in those pictures and rotate the stand 90 degrees so it cradles the pivot point. Does that make sense?
The Z is vertically challenged, so it is impossible to access the front central jacking point w/out jacking up the side and then getting another jack underneath the car to jack up the center.

You don't release the jack immediately there is no problem. I have to do the rear in a similar fashion, where I have to jack where the bolts are for the rear torsion bars. By jacking the once side (seen in picture below) I'm able to get the other side up to throw a jack under, and then let the car down and throw a jack in on the otherside.

I may want to add, always throw the wheels underneath the car.

Appreciate 0