08-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #80
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech2 View Post
How many N54 have you personally modified already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech2 View Post
How many hours have you spent on the dyno, and have you examined & Tested the turbos after a day of hard driving at the track?
How many hours? Don't know I don't keep track... And yes.

BPV or DV (different names for the same thing) it still makes the BOV pointless.

Edit:
Let me try to explain a little more in-depth why a BOV is detrimental as opposed to the BPV (Compressor Bypass Valve, so there's no confusion).

Both of them reduce the negative effect of compressor surge. So they both serve the same function. The difference between the two is what happens to that air after it is relieved. BOV vent it to atmosphere, providing that whine that the ricers love.

The BPV vents it back to the intake of the turbo giving you better throttle and boost response. The whole point of the turbo is compressing air... the BPV gives you more already compressed air at the intake and therefore helps maintain the speed of the turbines.

Now if you're going to mod your car (I am) you may want to install a more hefty BPV depending on the performance you're looking for... but a BOV is still pointless.
Appreciate 0