10-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mmmKevin View Post
I really doubt it's like that.

We all know BMW doesn't play the "one-up" game. Who cares if "critics" want to compare a cheap american car to a M3? If BMW made a car specifically to shut the critics up, they would just become another car company...

Also, I think it all comes down to niche markets. There are A LOT of young guys like myself that dream of having an M car but it won't be for a couple of years until we're able to afford one.

The 135i M Coupe totally bridges the gap between the 135i (10/10 on the fun scale but of course no M) and the M3 (100/10 on the fun scale, M but expensive).

BMW is really just filling a gap between 2 cars.
It is the US market and BMW most certainly does not just want to be a niche brand. While there are certain BMW demographics in the US who will never consider a Mustang, I think BMW is fully aware of the stake it is in. Driving in an M3 while knowing the new Mustang next to you is shoulder to shoulder against you at 1/2 of the cost is not a good feeling.

The new M1 coupe will be wider than the current M3 coupe based on the initial quote, indicatinig the new M1 coupe is aimed at a much wider audience who also need the size accommodation, not just the fun factor.
Appreciate 0